Saturday, October 29, 2011

An obscence gesture in the classroom and resources for White Ribbon Day

Some teachers at our school are putting together a program for White Ribbon Day, the campaign to stop violence against women, which happens on Nov 25th. I offered to write a brochure to help parents and teachers choose media for their children, including the findings from the Growing Up Fast and Furious Conference I attended, and other sites, blogs, resources and gender issues that I talk about here on my blog. I have lots of feminist stuff but I'm lacking some info for boys.

The other day I was helping with reading in my daughter's Year 1 class,. We were reading in a small group, and one of the boys put his fingers under his mouth, like a V, and stuck his tongue out. He did that at me. I was a little shocked. I asked him what he was doing. A small girl in the group asked if he was cutting off his tongue. I directed our attention back to our books. The incident bothered me all day, so at school pick up I told the teacher.

This boy is seven years old. I know his mum. They are a nice family. They are a church family. He has older siblings, but they are at primary school. I'm hoping he was just trying to show off, and didn't know what it means. I have no idea how a seven year old boy has picked up the obscene gesture for cunnilingus.

Perhaps it is a glimpse of what I can expect teaching at high school.

So, I'm asking. If you have any resources for boys, let me know, and I'll add it to the brochure.

And if you are interested in seeing the brochure as it is so far, about encouraging respectful relationships, let me know and I'll email you the document.

No comments: