Thursday, May 14, 2009

Mothers in Fiction

Recommended Fiction:

Nursery Crimes: A Mommy Track Mystery - Ayelet Waldman

I Don't Know How She Does It - Alison Pearson

Dying for Cake - Louise Limerick*

The Love Child - Fran Cusworth*

Safety - Tegan Bennet Daylight*

And I want to see more. I want to see depictions of what I call Challenger Mums (ones who ask a lot of questions) who don't come to grief like Eva from 'We Need to Talk About Kevin'', April Wheeler from 'Revolutionary Road', pathologised as the unnamed mother in 'Still Waters' or is as misunderstood as Laura Brown in 'The Hours'. It seems to me these mums are asking some good questions, but not finding acceptable answers. A 'Momoir' from the US, 'Mommies Who Drink', by Brett Paesel, is in development to be made into a TV series by HBO. I want to see more mouthy mums on TV. There is enough material from stand-up comics, bloggers, memoirists, and forum posts to make many entertaining shows which depict mothers in a new light.

More about mouthy mums soon...

In the meantime, what mothers in fiction have you identified with or just plain enjoyed reading?
Please share.

No comments: