Sunday, July 08, 2012

Have you seen the Toy Sale Catalogues??

KMart has pictures of girls playing with boys' toys. No boys playing with girls' toys, but it's a start. Yay!

Target has few children in their catalogue, so hard to judge. But Big W is more segregated than ever. Parts of the catalogue are labelled Girls Toy and Boys Toys, so not a lot of gender integration there. The most radical representation they include is a girl wearing a Skylanders T shirt. Boo!

I've been looking thorough them because it is Banjo's birthday this week, and I've organised nothing for her, except giving a large amount of money to the orthodontist. She's turning eight, and I'm glad she's still interested in baby dolls. I don't want her to grow up too quickly.

The amount of toys that have come through our house and out to the op shops just makes my head spin, so I need to be careful and cautious. I'm tempted to change the batteries of all the unused toys in the house and present them to the children as if new.

What I've noticed is that the toys are cheaper than ever before. A few years ago a Baby Alive doll was $100. Now you can get one for about $20. Everything is so cheap. Cheaper than I've ever seen. Yes, made in China, and made of plastic. I don't wonder why people buy so much. Mostly it makes me wonder how the environmental cost could possibly be factored into the price. And what kind of conditions are the workers enduring?

Cheap for us, but at what expense?

No comments: