Tuesday, February 15, 2011

The Shangri-Las in the Car

I like to sing. I've sung to my kids since they were born. Before they were born I was singing into a microphone on a regular basis. Sometimes I sing to them. Sometimes I sing for me. Sometimes I amuse myself, and annoy them, by singing a song related to whatever we're talking about.

We sing in the car. Over the years we've sung California Dreaming, and Big Yellow Taxi, with me doing lead, and backup vocals from the back seat. Our song at the moment, suggested by the children, is Leader of the Pack.

What a song! Dramatic. Sad. Funny. And it has sound effects. Perfect. The kids think the leader of the pack is like Fonzi. And wonder what he was doing in the candy store in the first place, because hanging out in candy stores doesn't seem so tough. The kids wonder if the girl singing the song really is to blame for the leader of the pack's death. Textual analysis. Ethics. This song is giving us lots to work with.

I just need to keep in mind that we're singing Leader of the Pack and not New Rose by The Damned - they start the same way.

I wouldn't be surprised if our next song is My Boyfriend's Back. Bring on the handclaps!

2 comments:

Heather said...

You get the picture? Yes, we see.

Motherhugger said...

Is the song funny? Or is it sad?
They're not taking it very seriously here (although the singer still seems so sad):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGQt6GY8nKA

Is it a lesson in how the softest people have the strongest armour?