Monday, January 23, 2012

Rachel Hills on the reaction to her piece on MTR.

A response from Rachel Hills on the controversy her piece on Melinda Tankard Reist has sparked over the last two weeks. All the links are here in her piece. I've found I'm not so out of step afterall with the feminists I'd been reading online last week. Phew. Glad that it has opened up a public discussion on what feminism is, and that I've learned, well, lots - mostly to make no presumptions about people's definitions of feminism.

I was wondering what her response would be.

http://rachelhills.tumblr.com/post/16364379780/notes-on-a-scandal-melinda-tankard-reist-and-me

And, by the way, this, by Cathy Sherry, is what my friends and I agree with.

http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/society-and-culture/sisterhood-beware--silencing-ideas-stymies-progress-20120124-1qfnx.html

SMH are running a poll with the article. So far, most voters agree that women who oppose abortion have the right to call themselves feminist.

PS. The polling of 2307 people results 55% to 45% in favour of women who oppose abortion having the right to call themselvs feminists.

No comments: