Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Another day, another plan.


It turns out my disease is more progressed than we first thought. The bone marrow biopsy results show elements of the next phases, accelerated and blasts. Also, my white cell count has increased over the fortnight since this journey started. I started with a wcc of 70. Today it is 124. So, we have a new plan. I’m starting on medication today that will hopefully bring down my wcc. It is like chemotherapy in tablet form. We had to find a pharmacist who stocks it, and when he gave it to me he said ‘it’s full on’, and ‘good luck’. I’ve signed the paperwork to start on the medication for CML. I’ll be getting my blood tested every second day, and if the results aren’t changing the way we want they’ll admit me to clean my blood or start me on chemotherapy. 

We also had a chat about the possibility of a bone marrow transplant down the track. Although I’m from a large family, most members of my family have a genetic predisposition to bowel cancer. We had genetic testing when my sister was diagnosed. I have one sister who doesn’t have this gene, and I might have to ask her for a big favour.

As for now, I’ll take it one blood test at a time.

3 comments:

Jill in a Box said...

I am so sorry to hear this news. I hope the treatment goes as well as it possibly can and that those blood test results soon start telling a better story. Take care and my thoughts are with you.
Melita

chellecahill said...

Good luck with the treatment. (Sent you email yesterday). Michelle

chellecahill said...

Good luck with the treatment. (Sent you email yesterday). Michelle