Sunday, October 21, 2012

Changing Direction

At last post my wcc was 124 and I started on the chemo drugs. On Saturday my wcc was 120. Not great, but a change in direction, and a significant one. I was instructed to increase the meds. Today, my wcc is, (and I was nervous about this - I'd packed a hospital bag in case I was admitted), 78.6. Good news. My doctor acquired some CML medication for me to get started on while my application for the drug is being processed - quite a bureaucratic process by all accounts.

We also had a quick chat about the possibility of a bone marrow transplant, and starting to look for donors. Good news for my children - they can't be donors. (There goes my threat to make them clean up after themselves.) My doctor thinks we should be able to find a donor who isn't related to me. If it comes to that. 

When I woke up on Saturday morning I felt a little better than I had in weeks. My mind was a bit clearer. I don't feel great - I have cramps and an upset stomach - but I started to feel a little more positive.

I'm in a Facebook group with other students who are mums, and whenever I'm about to go in for a blood test, I've been asking them to guess what my wcc will be. Making it a game. Why not? It helps to not take it all too personally.

A change in direction is good! I hope my wcc will never be as high as that again. More blood tests, and in about a month, another bone marrow biopsy. Now we have to push all my results back to the chronic phase, then into remission.




2 comments:

sister outlaws said...

Glad you can make some jokes about this! I'm very impressed with your attitude and resilience. Take care.

Liz said...

Hi Catherine - it's Liz here (erstwhile of Wednesday Walkers, now living in Darwin). I heard about your diagnosis via Lynne S, who directed me here. I am so, SO sorry to hear this news. Have just been doing some research on CML (I understand 'accelerated' and 'blast' better now) and will be following your blog closely, sending bucket-loads of support across the cyberwaves. Sending a huge Motherhug from one cancer-fightin' mama to another...xxx